Thursday, May 15, 2014

Amy & Elder, Mucha Style

I adore the artwork on Alphonse Mucha. This art nouveau painter is probably best known for his highly stylized portraits that feature strong lines, symbolic icons, and beautiful colors. 

Amy and Elder's story takes place in the far future--which may make my desire to see them in a Mucha style a bit odd. But I love the juxtaposition of old and new, and the plethora of details that can be contained in one image. 


To create portraits of Amy and Elder, I reached out online to the very talented Christine Tyler. She worked tirelessly to see the vision through to completion, and the results are, simply, breathtakingly beautiful. I am in utter awe of the art Christine made come to life, and cannot say enough how happy I am that these images exist in the world. 


My favorite thing about Mucha's art is the attention to detail, and I knew that Christine wouldn't disappoint in that regard. Every little thing in these images has a deeply symbolic meaning. I'll be doing a post later about her art, and detailing all the brilliant symbols she included. 


But first: as many of you know, I'm currently at the RT Booklovers Convention in New Orleans (click for my full schedule). To celebrate winning the RT 2014 YA Futuristic Book of the Year award for Shades of Earth, I've made art cards of Christine's portrait of Amy and Elder. I have a couple hundred with me--and to get one, all you have to do is find me at one of my panels or at my signing or at the Teen Day Party, and I will give you one!


And to whet your appetite so you can see just how awesome these are, here's what the art cards look like:




I'll be posting more about the art later, as well as sharing the lovely full versions of the prints, but for now, come snag me at RT to get your very own copy of Christine's lovely art! You can find out more about Christine online here: 


Youtube (family and travel): https://www.youtube.com/ctylervision
Blog: http://www.christinetyler.net

Check back here after RT for fuller versions of Amy and Elder. And while I can't reveal everything I've been working on with Christine, I'll simply say that this is only half of the art she's done for me, and we still have two more very special prints to reveal in the (hopefully near) future! 

No comments: