Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bookanista Feature: Robin McKinley's PEGASUS

Today is the first launch day of the new book review bloggers - The Bookanistas: Books are the New Black. We are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers. We – as fellow writers – have decided to only post positive reviews, therefore, only reviewing the book we LOVE. No negative reviews here!

The Bookanistas give nothing but love!

Starting today, we will post reviews every Thursday that cover various topics– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews. This fashionable badge represents our group (club/gang/posse/secret society/peeps). Here is a list of the Bookanistas: Christina Fonseca, Jamie Harrington, Michelle Hodkin, Kirsten Hubbard, Shelli Johannes-Wells, Myra McEntire, Shannon Messenger, Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Sarah Frances Hardy and Katie Anderson, Scott Tracey, and Carolina Miller!





PEGASUS by Robin McKinley


I got this ARC from a very dear friend of mine, and have not been able to put it down (until, erm, oceans separated me from it. I did no reading in Europe, shame on me!).

If you need a reason to pick this one up, I refer you to the prettyprettyamazinglypretty cover above. I mean...wow. THAT is one beautiful cover!

And what's even better? The words inside are more beautiful.

Well, of course they are. Robin McKinley wrote them.

But if I had to pick one thing I love more about this book than anything else, it would be simply this: Robin McKinley makes me believe that pegasi could be real. She does an amazing job of creating realistic mythical characters with their own mythology, beliefs, history, and personalities that make me think they are truly real. This is not a story where a girl rides a pretty winged horse--no, pegasi in this story are not at all just winged horses, and they have their own truly unique tale to tell.

*~*~*~*



Other Bookanista Features Today:

The Bookanistas think books are the best accessory. If you would like one of us to review your book or ARC, feel free to contact me and we will add it to our list. 


11400 ★ 85000
 

19 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

That cover is freaking amazing! I really love Robin McKinley, and I can't wait to read this!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I love Robin McKinley too and now can't wait to read this. And Yah! to being positive only.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

oh i had not heard of this one! sounds awesome!

Tere Kirkland said...

How did this get by me? I love McKinley!

Thanks for the review!

Alix said...

Books are the new black - I love that!

I haven't read any Robin McKinley but it sounds great and wow that cover!

Unknown said...

I have been drooling over that cover for so long. I will admit to being completely jealous that you got an ARC. It sounds amazing. :) Glad you loved it!

Christine Fonseca said...

I love the amazing - and the story sounds GREAT!

Shannon Messenger said...

Okay, I am drooling over that cover. Yep, I definitely can't WAIT to read this one. :)

Kay said...

I love Robin McKinley. I can't wait to read this one...with a cover like that, who can resist?

Margo Berendsen said...

I can't tell you how this is SOOOO my kind of book, thanks for the heads up. Going to check to see if I can preorder it. Or you could always do a contest giveaway (grin, hint, grin)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Oooooo, must read!
Love the Bookanista, too!

Jemi Fraser said...

LOVE the cover! It's amazing - and it sounds like the story matches it :) Thanks for the tip!

Theresa Milstein said...

It is an amazing cover. There's nothing like reading a book so good that you wish the world existed, and it's crushing to come back to reality.

Karen Lange said...

I think this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Happy weekend,
Karen :)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Saw this at ALA, and now I'm itching to dive into it!

lotusgirl said...

I'm dying for this book. I adore Robin McKinley. I'm trying to wait patiently for it to come out. I love this idea of only doing positive reviews of books you love. I eliminated my book reviews because I didn't feel right about doing the negative ones.

Myrna Foster said...

I read her blog/online journal, and I feel like I've been waiting for this book forever. Thanks for the review.

Samantha said...

That cover really sells the book and the fact that it's Robin McKinley makes it even more amazing. Thanks for the review. :)

PJ Hoover said...

I'm so glad you loved it! And the book review group is a great idea!