Monday, August 18, 2008

To Prologue or not to Prologue

I've heard that agents/editors dislike prologues (usually, I think, in submissions as it doesn't show a true sense of the tone/style of the book).

I've gone back and written a prologue in my story because whether it becomes MG or YA, I think I've got to show at least a hint of how dark the novel will become. Now, usually even I hate prologues--I skimmed the ones in the Twilight series, I skip most of the ones in epic fantasy tomes (they're just going to reveal a prophecy or something anyway). So I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical, writing a prologue...

...but it is the perfect answer to my worry that the overall tone of the book is hidden by the mild opening, and it gives some insight to the villain's character.

What's y'all's opinion on prologues?


PS: My mother, who has no idea about my angsty-decision for MG or YA, just sent me an email in response to my question on whether or not my ms. was more for middle school kids or high school kids. Her words: Aren't they both the same??? :)

5 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

We were talking about prologues during the Teen Writers Workshop I teach last week. Most of the participants hated prologues and said they skip them.. I could go either way. I guess it depends on the story.

PJ Hoover said...

I have a prologue in one of my books because it totally works and is totally necessary. Yeah, maybe this is what everyone says :)

When I started The Emerald Tablet, I had a prologue which totally sucked. But just the act of writing it helped me in some way even though it got completely tossed and was not necessary. But maybe prologues are so shunned because much of the time they just aren't needed.

Unknown said...

I think mine is needed...but maybe it isn't. It does add a different perspective and inserts some tension, but I'm not entirely sure it's essential to the plot.

What the heck, that's what crit groups are for!!! :)

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

I have a prologue in my MG novel too. But it is written in first person from a different, major character's POV and it gives needed back-story in order to understand the actual story/ I have received 50/50 on loving it and hating it. So, for now it will be in until I get an agent and then if he/she thinks I should remove it I will. But, for me, I think it sets up the whole tone of the book and foreshadows what's to come... But most kids, sadly, do skip prologues. Most adults skip prologues!

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.