Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Struggling Writer

This bit from PubRants made me feel kinda good about life in general:
All writers have felt like they’ve been kicked to the curb at some point in their career (be it trying to land an agent, accessing an editor at a publishing house, or sifting through the myriad of rejections). You are not alone and the best you can do is to keep writing because that’s what writers do. All established authors have at least one manuscript that will never see the light of day. Many have several.
Revisions are not going so well...I was knocked out for two days instead of just one, and have over a hundred pages to make up for the absence today.

And I had a pretty good idea about changing something in the end (not comfortable with that end...now that I've got the beginning OK, I've got to go change the end). Anyway, making those changes mean making a TON more...so, *sigh*. Off to re-write land.

I wish I had as positive an outlook on revisions as Christine has:
But once I have the bones in place I can go back and put on the skin (how's that for kind of a gross image).
Best. Analogy. Of revisions. EVAR.

3 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

I LOVED Chris's analogy.

Keep your chin up. You're continuing on with your revisions and that brings you closer...

Good luck!

christine M said...

Glad you liked the analogy. :)

Sometimes when I'm revising I take one scene at a time and focus just on that little bit. Don't worry about what comes after or before - just make that scene the best it can be.

I know you can do it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Vivian and Christine! I know it needs to be done, and I know it's so important, and I know it's so much better when it is actually done...but I hate it. Revisions are like going to the dentist...you never know if you're going to have a cavity when you just came in for your teeth cleaned, and either way, it smells funny and hurts. OK, I'm just not as good at analogies as Christine!