Monday, August 25, 2008

The Positive Spin

I wasn't going to blog today. Today was the first day of school with kids, and I'm exhausted. Everything went wrong. Staples ate paper. Kids were lost. Faculty meeting was long. A projector blew up. Rain. Lots of a rain. Just a crummy day in general.

Then I come home...and the crummy day continues. Had a rejection waiting for me. Burned supper...and nearly burned the house down when I forgot to turn off the stove eye. The TV show I watch was a re-run...and a bad one, at that.

I'm way behind on critiques for my groups, so I sat down for two hours to work on them. The whole time, I'm thinking I'm not going to blog today. I have nothing positive to say. This day just sucks.

Then I finished with my critiques. And somewhere in reading my friends' works, and blogging on my crit group site about their work, and submitting my new book to one of the groups, and, in general, just immersing myself in the writing world (even though I wasn't writing for myself) made me feel calm and happy and that life isn't worthless and this writing thing is pretty cool. Just doing something with writing makes a bad day good...and makes me know that even when it sucks, this is still what I want to do.

8 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I so hear you! I love sitting at my computer each nice. It's a priceless moment in my day.
I'm glad your day turned around!

christine M said...

Writing makes everything better. :)

Unknown said...

When I realized I was happier doing the grunt work of writing than anything else that happened that day, I knew that I was destined to be a writer :)

Keri Mikulski said...

Great stuff, Beth. I feel the same way about writing. It calms me and it's my escape.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a pretty crappy day yesterday too and I didn't even leave the house. :)

Tabitha said...

Good for you!! And I totally agree with Christine. :)

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

That's excellent how being immersed with writers made your frown turn up-side-down!

I am a teacher too. I hate having to cram my feet back into shoes after 10 weeks of flip flops!

This year I am only teaching part-part-time - just two mornings a week. Perfect! Now if I only made some serious money doing it... but it is what it is, right?

Unknown said...

Keri--Sorry you had a crappy day! I totally sympathize :)

Tabitha--Me, too! Christine always has the best quips :)

Sheri--I'm totally with you on the toughness of going back to the teacher shoes...literally! One of the reasons my day sucked was that I had a huge blister from my "fancy" shoes!! And I'm totally with you on the money, thing, too...I've got a Master's Degree, and my friend working as a secretary makes more dough than me.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

I know it totally sucks! This year I am only teaching - if you can call it that - 3 year olds. And there is even less money in preschools, but I don't want to go back full time. AND there are no fancy shoes to stuff my feet into for preschool! I can even wear jeans...