Saturday, August 16, 2008

MG or YA?

Recap: I've written what I thought was a YA fantasy, but many felt the tone/writing would make the ms. better suited to be a MG fantasy. My characters are currently 15 years old. I've been entirely up in the air about whether to age-down my characters, or age-up my manuscript.

After hours of researching MG and YA literature on the net, a fervid email conversation on the SCBWI-Carolinas listserv with some helpful advice from YA author Alan Gratz, I realized it came down to this question:

Why are my characters the age they are now?

The answer has to be more than "because" no matter what I decide to do.

If it's an MG, then the answer MUST be MORE than
  • because they aren't having sex
  • because it's easier to write it that way
  • because the action happens within a school
  • because there's magic
If it's a YA, then the answer MUST be MORE than:
  • because there is sex
  • because they are 15 years old (age is nothing more than a number in writing--they have to act their age--they have to be 15, not just be 15 because I say they are)
  • because they are in high school (again, as an author, I have to make the high school a character, much like how NY is a character in Sex in the City)
So, when I ask myself what should age my novel should be aimed at, the answers I come up with are:
  • the lessons they learn in class are above the average middle schooler's head
  • the ultimate battle they must fight is very dark, dealing with themes of temptation and redemption that might not be entirely appropriate for mid-grade
  • the magic is school-based, which is a trope of mid-grade novels
  • the story is focused more on self than on self's role in the world, which is a trope of mid-grade novels
  • there is no romance, thoughts of romance, sex, or even infatuation in my novel. Anywhere. The characters are more focused on themselves and their discoveries than on the opposite sex and what can be discovered under their pants.
All in all, this means I've got some items definitely in the mid-grade camp, and some in the YA camp. So what does that mean? My novel cannot stand as is. I've got to go deeper into revisions and resolve these problems to fit into a specific age-range. And it's still half and half as to which I could do.

I think aging down the characters would be easy--but aging down the novel would be difficult. There are dark themes involved, and issues that I'd think would be easier for a high schooler to understand and identify with than a middle schooler.

I think making the tone of the novel closer to YA would be easy--but I can't lose the tropes that are more typical in MG (i.e. magic in school, witchy teacher). I can easily add in more realistic details to make the characters seem more their age, but the tropes of MG are essential to this novel.

The question still arises: whether to age-down my characters, or age-up my manuscript. There is no clear answer here, just a choice that I'm going to have to do one or the other.

10 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

But...regarding the dark battle, again we have to bring up Harry Potter. Man, those books got dark. I mean really. And third graders are reading them.

However, I love the reasoning in your post. It's such great analysis. Your characters are lucky to have you :)

Unknown said...

I think the key with Harry Potter, though, was it started out as MG. The first three books are a bit dark, sure, but not too dark at all. It's not until book 4--with the huge increase in page #s and the first on screen good-guy death--that the books really turn dark...and really turn into YA.

I'm trying to analyze it!! I just wish I could figure it out! All I know at this point is that what I've got won't work...but I'm so on the fence as to how to fix it!

Carrie Ryan said...

Really a lot to think about! I'm trying to think of what magic books I've read recently and admittedly, I don't read a lot of MG so it's hard for me to know how dark they get. I think Sarah Prineas's The Magic Thief is squarely MG and it gets dark, but not as dark as the last HP books. Skin Hunger is also a magic school and it seemed very dark to me, but I also think it was YA.

I'd never considered magic school to only be a trope of MG -- I don't see why it couldn't also work for YA.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! But thanks for giving me a lot to ponder.
-Carrie (a new SCBWI member in NC).

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blog, Carrie! (And welcome to SCBWI-C! Where in NC are you? I'm in the mountains)

My indecision is based in part on how nearly every critiquer I've had read my book and/or query thought that placing the magic in the school made it seem MG. I figure I need to solve my problem now, before submissions!

Angela said...

Just to throw something else in the loop the answer could be: You got it right in the first place. There are characters who 'act' way above their age...not just in the things they 'do' but what they know and how they behave. The little sister in IF A TREE FALLS IN LUNCH PERIOD comes to mind. And there are characters who despite their age are inexperienced with the opposite sex but choice or social awkwardness SOMEDAY THIS PAIN WILL BE USEFUL TO YOU is an example. And then there are big dark wonderful YA novels that feature the lives of younger children THE BOOK THEIF and even sweet coming of age novels that feature young MCs but are written for adults. COLD HARD SASSY is just one (there are many many in this category).

So (not to make life any more confusing) it could be as simple as 'you wrote what you thought you wrote'

Good luck with this revision!!!!

Unknown said...

Angela--Don't worry, I don't think I could get more confused! :)

I have considered that. I think I'll leave the bulk of my decision until September, when I get a critique of the ms. It's just something thumping around in my mind. I think my main character is like what you described--a bit immature for her age. That was intentional. My problem (if I want to keep it as a YA) is that the other characters are also too immature. Her surrounding isn't as realistic as it could be.

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Here's my suggestion... could this really be a series??? If so, then it makes sense to begin in MG without the sexual tension and dark issues. Then in the last book of your series, dating could begin and the dark resolution used when your characters (and readers) are older and therefore now it all fits... They begin young with all the tropes of MG and then the series ends as a YA with all the dark angst of a teen.

Unknown said...

I have considered this, Sheri, but I don't have any ideas of sequels! Right now, it's a standalone.

Carol Baldwin said...

so you wrote this blog awhile back and I just found it. What did you decide to do? Age up or down? Curious...

Unknown said...

Carol,

I'm sorry to say that I ended up abandonning that book. I'll email you with more deets!