Friday, June 6, 2008

Revision Quotes

Vivian posted some quotes over on her blog, Hip Writer Mama.

They're just awesome. Here's one I really liked:

"Writing is rewriting. A writer must learn to deepen characters, trim writing, intensify scenes. To fall in love with the first draft to the point where one cannot change it is to greatly enhance the prospects of never publishing."

-Richard North Patterson

This is something that I struggle with constantly. I call it my "sentimental manuscript." It wasn't the first book I wrote, but it's the first one I thought had a chance at being published. Problem was, I thought it wasn't just ready for publication; it was perfect. Of course I was wrong.

The only cure for sentimental manuscript? Write another book, and try not to care as much. That's the only thing that worked for me.

2 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

I'm glad you liked these quotes. Definitely helpful in keeping things in perspective.

Good luck with your revisions!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I need all the help I can get!