Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Finally--Some Good News!

OK, so my title makes it sound like the world's depressing (gas hit $4 a gallon in Charlotte today and my sprained ankle still hurts), but there's plenty of good in the world, and this article in Newsweek is just icing on the cake.
Contrary to the depressing proclamations that American teens aren't reading, the surprising truth is they are reading novels in unprecedented numbers. Young-adult fiction (ages 12-18) is enjoying a bona fide boom with sales up more than 25 percent in the past few years, according to a Children's Book Council sales survey. Virtually every major publishing house now has a teen imprint, many bookstores and libraries have created teen reading groups and an infusion of talented new authors has energized the genre.
And as if that's not enough, David Leviathan says that we're living in "the second golden age for young-adult books."

This gives me hope for the future!

2 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I hope so! I love when I see kids reading! It's perfect.

Keri Mikulski said...

Yay! I love this article. :)